Indeed, people and pets of Leslieville, consider this your official warning that flea season is fast approaching. The mild winter we just experienced - though it was nothing short of amazing for those of us who do not care for the reaction our hair has to tuques - made it quite pleasant for those pesky buggers and many of them decided that rather than migrating south for the winter they would stay here and expand their families. Wonderful. Like your gym teacher in the seventh grade always said, the best defence against fleas is a good defence against fleas, though he was probably talking about touch football, not fleas. Here are our 10 commandments regarding protecting your pup from these guys:
1. Thou shalt spray Fido with a natural bug repellent. Always. Every time he goes outside henceforth.
2. Thou shalt sprinkle brewers yeast onto the dogs dinner for this will create an environment in which fleas will not wish to set up camp.
3. Use not a chemical flea collar but a plain bandanna soaked in natural oils such as rosemary and eucalyptus.
4. Use also rosemary and eucalyptus leaves in hims bedding. Thy dog shall not only smell like a dream but be free of the afflictions of itch and scratch.
5. If thou doest protest the smell of eucalyptus, thou can use citronella, for not only do mosquitoes dread this scent, so does the flea.
6. Sprinkle ye regular house-hold table salt around your home - probably just outside unless thou can deal with the feeling of salty soles (of your feet that is).
7. Wash thee your dog regularly with a natural shampoo that will repel the insect. This ye will find useful for not only the flea but also the tick, the mosquito and the black-fly. This ye will find at The Bone House (we keep it next to the bug spray. Huzzah!).
8. Be thou especially diligent about prevention when frequenting the beach for as much as your pup loves the sand and water, more still does the flea love the sand and your dog.
Right, so we ended up with 8 rules to live by this summer. Arguably they are written in a confusing mix of old English, old testament and bizarre quirk so if you have any question please do pop into the shop and we will help you out with both prevention as well as eradication. Because sometimes, even when you have taken all the preventative measures you can google, you may find yourself and your pets living not-so-harmoniously with fleas. Remember, it's not your fault - while you are busy at work and making dinner and running a household and keeping up a semi-regular social life, the only responsibility of a flea is to land on your best buddy and breed like it's going out of style. They may be persistent but they will not win. We've got your back in this battle.